I am new to the idea of dysmenoria/endometriosis. I have suffered through severe periods my whole life. Now I am absolutely at my wits-end and plan to book an appointment with a gynae to diagnose my severe periods.
Should I book my gynae appointment so that it concides with my period (day 1 or day 2 because these are the worst) so that the doctor can see the symptoms? And test me while I am experiencing the severe pain and swelling etc?
Should I be taking painkillers before the appointment… read more
What coffeeandciggles said! The only way to diagnose endo is by a laparoscopy! However don't let any other doctors tell you other wise! They think that they know that you can see it pop up on an ultrasound but it doesn't. I believes doctors for years before my gyno said that it was a lie. The other thing I will let you know is that just getting ablasion does not help or get rid of endo effectively. Excision is the best way to go in order to get relief or getting on the road to recovery. Don't let regular gyno's fool you either. The best effective way to get this done properly is through a specialist. In excision they cut out the endo vs. just burning it like they do for ablasion. There are many support groups on Facebook and such that have lists of specialists in places around the world. I can easily send you a link as well. Also, make sure that when they go in to diagnose you, try and make sure you're not on birth control or anything that can affect seeing the endo. I was on lupron and they went in and found very little. Of course! Because it was suppressed!!! Another thing I suggest is that you ask lots of questions. I know a lot of women can't get to a specialist and that's ok make sure though that the gyno doesn't do too much harm in there. They usually do physicals so I would take something 100%. Specialists also don't do physicals because of the pain it causes after the fact. So yes take something for your pain and also bring some just in case you need another dose after the appointment. Good luck and let me know I can get you some lists of specialists!
Here's the link for specialists:
https://attachment.fbsbx.com/file_download.php?id(Phone number can only be seen by the question and answer creators)&eid=ASsrtvH0kfJoF9JZ8M-VVE1WeO1NnlJ17lZXk8KQZIiSDuO6DrgjqJIpFQ0WLIDFx1s&ext(Phone number can only be seen by the question and answer creators)&hash=ASswJCEChYXgBYCP
Here's the link about excision:
http://endometriosis.org/treatments/endometrios...
I would suggest going on Facebook and finding pages for endo. There are many out there and they all provide support and information. If you don't mind, add me on Facebook and I'll add you to the groups. I am an admin for one group so I can easily add you! Good luck :)
HI there, I am new to this, they found out I had it when they had to in to remove a cyst near my ovary. I am not sure. I had them take a look while I did not have my period, and described my bloating and cramps and how bad they were. I take a lot of advil during my period to try and keep the cramps at bay as much as I can. Hope you get some answers when you go. Jessica