Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyEndometriosisTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyEndometriosisTeam Member asked a question 💭
Portland, ME

I am starting to take CBD oil to help reduce my pain and I am concerned it is going to interfere with the birh control I am on. Does anyone know if its cbd or thc in general that interferes with how estrogen based birth control works? Just a little worried I am going to be decreasing the efficacy of my birth control and therfore my endometriosis will come back faster or I will have more breakthrough bleeding.

March 22, 2018
 · 
Reactions
A MyEndometriosisTeam Member

I second what Jame said- I have not seen an instance of CBD interfering with birth control. I always recommend consulting your doc, but I personally consider it safe. I actually work with CBD (working to formulate a CBD based herbal tincture specifically designed for menstrual disorders- so that's one good thing endo did for me- it got me a great job! lol

March 23, 2018
A MyEndometriosisTeam Member

I just signed up here specifically to answer this question, as I've read generic "might interact!" warnings for a long time, but haven't seen many real world discussions from women who have combined the two. I'm a freelance writer who has done quite a bit of researching/writing in the cannabis field; I've never heard that CBD + birth control is dangerous--just that it might prevent your b.c. from working properly. I take Camrese-Lo continuously to prevent endmetriomas from appearing (again) and having to be surgically removed (again). Recently, I decided to give CBD oil a try to manage pandemic-related stress/anxiety.

Just like magic, a few days into the CBD, very light spotting began, followed by breakthrough bleeding. Too bad, too--as I slept very well on the CBD. Every person's body is different and my birth control may be especially prone to disruption because it's such a low dose. I have heard that a lot of folks have success using it to manage b.c.-related side effects. But sadly, that's my experience. :-(

June 23, 2020
A MyEndometriosisTeam Member

Same here, wondering about updates as am keen to try CBD. I read that it may only affect estrogen based hormonal contraception, had Kyleena put in 6 months ago and it seems to be working somewhat but with pain around mid-month ovulation.

July 19, 2019
A MyEndometriosisTeam Member

I have read that it can lessen the effects, more so by allowing unplanned pregnancy and occasional breakthrough bleeding but not enough to cause the Endo. to suddenly return

June 27, 2019
A MyEndometriosisTeam Member

Just wondering if you had an update on this from your personal expierance... if it interfered with your birth control or not. I just started taking it and was wondering the same thing, it works great for my anxiety but don't want it to interact with the birth control.

April 29, 2019

Related Questions

View All
A MyEndometriosisTeam Member asked a question 💭
Tinley Park, IL

A MyEndometriosisTeam Member asked a question 💭
Warrnambool, AU

A MyEndometriosisTeam Member asked a question 💭
Houston, TX

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In