Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people whoโ€™ve been there
  •   People who understand what youโ€™re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyEndometriosisTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyEndometriosisTeam Member asked a question ๐Ÿ’ญ
Huntsvilee, AL

I feel like I am going crazy. I have asked my doctors again and again to check if I have an autoimmune disease but no one takes me seriously. Well, I got bloodwork done and of course I test positive for autoimmune antibodies. But wouldn't it make sense for people with endo to have positive autoimmune antibodies? Think about it. We have uterine tissue growing in places it doesn't belong. Can't your body recognize that as foreign and start attacking it? Obviously, I'm not a doctor but it justโ€ฆ read more

November 10, 2018
 · 
Reactions

Answer Summary

Members connected over the question of whether endometriosis could be an autoimmune disease, with several sharing their own experiences of... Read more

Members connected over the question of whether endometriosis could be an autoimmune disease, with several sharing their own experiences of having both endo and confirmed autoimmune conditions like spondyloarthritis, fibromyalgia, and positive ANA test results. Many members discussed the frustration of not being taken seriously by doctors despite positive antibody tests and family histories of autoimmune disease, with some offering practical advice to seek out rheumatologists who might better investigate secondary conditions and inflammation markers like CA125. A recurring theme was the struggle to find doctors who truly listen and the shared belief that endo's inflammatory nature and tendency to co-occur with autoimmune conditions suggests a deeper connection that researchers have not yet fully explored.

A MyEndometriosisTeam Member

Shannon. I would try a reumatologist if you really want to try and find out. Fibromyalgia is real but it normally comes as a secondary reumatologic dissease, secondary to something else. Like in my case it is secondary to spondylitis and so on.
Reumatologists do not treat endometriosis though im in total agreement it is an autoimune dissease, its our own body not being able to dispose endometrial cells instead making them grow.
Good luck at finding answers

November 12, 2018
A MyEndometriosisTeam Member

Thank you for responding! I'm glad I'm not the only one who has thought about this. Auto-immune diseases run in my family and my bloodwork has shown a positive ANA every time they have tested it in the past year, but no previous times from past years. The rheumatologist just said don't worry about it. He thinks I just have fibromyalgia and no other autoimmune diseases, even with the positive ANA. I can't get him to take me seriously, so I have just given up and I won't pursue it. I'm not sure I really agree with the fibro diagnosis, but I don't think I will pursue the autoimmune route any more. If I did, I would have to find a better doctor. I'm just thinking that maybe the positive ANA could be from the endo.
Like you said, Paula, everything is related. Either way I have inflammation in my body and need to try to reduce it so I think I will focus on that. I hope that researchers look into this more. I don't think doctors have done enough research in this area. Doctors don't know enough about endo or about autoimmune diseases anyway and usually know very little.
Thank you guys! I really appreciate your thoughts!

November 12, 2018
A MyEndometriosisTeam Member

Endo is not classified as an autoimmune disorder, though some believe it should be. Researchers have found that people with endo are at higher risk for certain autoimmune disorders. I think if endo led to having autoimmune antibodies, doctors would use bloodwork as a screening for endo; but as of now we don't really have any decent screening tools. Whatever it turns out to be, I am keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best possible outcome for you ๐Ÿ’›๐Ÿ’›

November 11, 2018
A MyEndometriosisTeam Member

Yep women with endimetriosis have it high.

November 13, 2018
A MyEndometriosisTeam Member

@A MyEndometriosisTeam Member that's interesting; I have heard of that as a screening for ovarian cancer, but not endo. I'll have to do some more reading about that.

November 12, 2018

Related Questions

View All
A MyEndometriosisTeam Member asked a question ๐Ÿ’ญ
Minneapolis, MN

A MyEndometriosisTeam Member asked a question ๐Ÿ’ญ
England, AR

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In