Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyEndometriosisTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyEndometriosisTeam Member asked a question 💭
Workington, UK

Hi. I'm completely new to this site and was only told a couple of days ago that my symptoms are most likely to be endometriosis. Iv been advised to have a laproscopy and go on an IUD called Mirena. Do laproscopys actually help? Iv read a lot of women on here describing after effects or complications. Should I skip the laproscopy and go straight on Mirena? Does anyone recommend or disagree with Mirena? I have so many questions! But am learning a lot from reading all your stories so thank you as I… read more

February 22, 2018
 · 
Be the first to react

Answer Summary

Members strongly encouraged someone newly diagnosed with endometriosis to pursue laparoscopic surgery for proper diagnosis and treatment, with... Read more

Members strongly encouraged someone newly diagnosed with endometriosis to pursue laparoscopic surgery for proper diagnosis and treatment, with many emphasizing that a laparoscopy is the only way to officially confirm endometriosis and that excision surgery performed by a true specialist (rather than simple ablation) offers the best long-term relief. Several members shared mixed experiences with the Mirena IUD, with some finding it helpful for managing symptoms while others experienced increased pain or bleeding, and alternative options like birth control pills, the Depo shot, and NuvaRing were also mentioned as helpful by different members. A recurring theme was the importance of seeking out an actual endometriosis excision specialist, with many pointing to the Facebook group Nancy's Nook as a valuable resource for finding qualified doctors who truly understand the condition.

A MyEndometriosisTeam Member

Get the lap done so you know what you are dealing with! I was on mirena and it dodnt so anythjng for my endo pain :( now on depo and my pain is minimal

February 27, 2018
A MyEndometriosisTeam Member

Check out Nancy's Nook on Facebook for a list of excision specialists, it is much less likely to come back if performed by a specialist in endometriosis.

February 26, 2018
A MyEndometriosisTeam Member

Awww @A MyEndometriosisTeam Member im so sorry u have been through that :(.Yes i think having a lap done might be a good idea if as you say it is only a temporary fix. Im glad the nuva ring is working for you. I havent heard of that i may have to look into it. Hope u have a lovely day xxxx

February 26, 2018
A MyEndometriosisTeam Member

Hi I am also new to this site. I have had horrible pain since I first started menstruating at age 12. I would bleed everyday other then a week out of the month. I was started on a birth control pill. I've tried all different birthcontrols. Different pills, depo, implanon, and nuva ring. March 2016 I had the lapro done. And they removed an extreme amount of scar tissue. Then I continied the nuva ring. And that seemed to help best. Although the lapro is just a temporary fix. The scar tissue does eventually grow back. The nuva ring seemed to be the only type of birth control that actually helped to regulate my cycle to where I was bleeding all month and I stopped having huge clots.

February 25, 2018
A MyEndometriosisTeam Member

I had the surgery twice. The first time I was able to go a few years without problems...same with the 2nd time...my doctor just put me on NOR birth control to stop my period in July because I was in sooo much pain and he didn't think a 3rd surgery was going to work. I tried Mirena a while back but my body doesn't do well with birth control and I bled for 3 months before it fell out. The NOR has been working to the point that I am not missing working because I am in sooo much pain. I have noticed my pain starting to come back. My last resort is a hysterectomy...I'm 39 so I am done having kids. I'm guessing I will be ready for that in the next year if my pain continues to increase. I definitely recommend the surgery! It's quick and depending on how your body handles it you can be up and going the next day. Good luck.

February 24, 2018

Related Questions

View All
A MyEndometriosisTeam Member asked a question 💭
Brooklyn, NY

A MyEndometriosisTeam Member asked a question 💭
Houston, TX

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In