Connect with others who understand.

  •   Learn from expert-reviewed resources
  •   Real advice from people who’ve been there
  •   People who understand what you’re going through
Sign Up Log In
Powered By
Real members of MyEndometriosisTeam have posted questions and answers that support our community guidelines, and should not be taken as medical advice. Looking for the latest medically reviewed content by doctors and experts? Visit our resource section.
A MyEndometriosisTeam Member asked a question 💭
Toronto, ON

I had a laparoscopy about 16 hours ago, and I’m having great difficulty peeing.
As far as I know, the endometriosis was not on or near my bladder.
The urge to go is very strong, but almost nothing comes out. I guess I will be contacting my doctor in the morning, but how common is this?
TIA!

August 16, 2018
 · 
Reactions
A MyEndometriosisTeam Member

I know this is no longer relevant to you, but I'll post anyway for the benefit of others: it may just be a normal reaction to the anesthesia. I had difficulty urinating after breast surgery (which you'd think is completely unrelated) and was told that it was from the anesthesia and is quite normal. They explained that the whole body shuts down under general anesthesia and it can take a few days for it to get itself fully back up and running again. It should be difficult to pee for the first couple of days, but you shouldn't be completely unable to do so. If you're completely unable, call your surgeon ASAP.

August 28, 2018
A MyEndometriosisTeam Member

It’s the most horrible thing needing to pee but can not get it out! I had my laparoscopy 4 weeks ago and when I woke up I already had a catheter in! I got discharged 3 days later but they also checked to see if I could urinate on my own which I could but with a lot of uncomfortable pushing. Last weekend I ended up in a&e because I couldn’t pass urine at all and they drained 400ml of urine from my bladder and currently at home still with a catheter in. I would try and get seen as soon as you can hun and catch the issue before it’s gets worse. I hope you start to feel better soon xx

August 16, 2018 (edited)
A MyEndometriosisTeam Member

Normal,After been put to sleep.Takes a week or more for things to crank up.

August 16, 2018
A MyEndometriosisTeam Member

Yes I had the same issue.Your body just went through alot of trauma.It takes away while to start crank up.Kind of like a cold car.ChanaM is correct.

August 28, 2018
A MyEndometriosisTeam Member

If after a little while longer you still can't pee... it might mean a trip to the ER. Your bladder being overly full can be dangerous. Maybe give your dr a call and see what they think. Also surgery in general in that area can lead to inflammation which can make peeing difficult

August 17, 2018

Related Questions

View All
A MyEndometriosisTeam Member asked a question 💭
Montreal, QC

A MyEndometriosisTeam Member asked a question 💭

A MyEndometriosisTeam Member asked a question 💭
Scituate, RI

Continue with Facebook
Continue with Google
By joining, you accept our Terms of Use, and acknowledge our collection, sharing, and use of your data in accordance with our Health Data and Privacy policies.
Already a member? Log In