We asked and you answered! We posted this question: What bits of "advice" do you wish people would stop telling you? and hundreds of you took the time to respond.
What did we learn? From the unconcerned ("It can't be that bad") to the plain unhelpful ("Stop thinking about it"), advice is hurled at us from friends, family, coworkers, even strangers. While most suggestions are probably well-intentioned, hearing them over and over can make us feel that our condition is minimized and misunderstood.
Some of the most common answers we heard:
- Can’t you just take Midol?
- It can’t be that bad
- Can’t you just get on hormones?
- Can't you just have another operation?
- Don’t get hooked on pain medication.
- Why don't you have a baby? I heard that helps.
- The pain is all in your head
- Stop thinking about it
Everyone's situation is different and not all of these apply to each person. Tell us: What advice about endometriosis do YOU wish people would stop telling you?
Get more articles like this!
Subscribe to receive the latest articles about endometriosis.